Friday, 16 December 2011

Wardrobe Stories

 
There's so much around for us to buy and wear that I want to appreciate the things I own and the reasons why I love them. Sharing my 'wardrobe stories' is a way for me to document that. I get really excited when I realise that an outfit I'm wearing is largely or entirely from a charity shop. There was a time when it was decidedly against the norm to be proud of thrifty finds, but on the whole it seems that attitudes have shifted with more and more people acknowledging that they can be great places to pick up [unusual] bargains. And there's the obvious added bonus of knowing you're saving something from landfill and helping to finance a good cause.

In this outfit I'm wearing a dark brown leather Levi belt that my Dad bought himself on holiday in America before I was born. I plundered his wardrobe in my teens and have been wearing it ever since because it sits on my hips (as opposed to my waist) really nicely - although here I'm wearing it functionally rather than just aesthetically. My necklace was a present from one of my closest friends and my jeans are Topshop (Baxter): one of only two styles of highstreet jeans that come close to fitting me - and even they are a touch too baggy at the top but I need the length.

The rest are charity shop finds. A raspberry knit top (label was cut out, so not sure where from originally): it's quite short in the body and has an asymmetrical pocket - loved it as soon as I saw it in the British Red Cross (£3.50). The jacket was an unbelievable £1.50 (also label-less - I think people must find them itchy or something), and I'd been looking for something like it for a while. The arms are too short, but the navy inside lining means turning up the sleeves works. But my favourite is the bag - can't remember how long I've had it now, but it's a trusty travel faithful, cost around a fiver and holds a miraculous amount.

I'm no fashion guru, but I've had a lot of fun over the years collecting things that I love to wear and use over and over again. It can be easy to forget what a privilege it is to own anything in the first place, let alone things that I feel comfortable in and that have allowed me to cultivate a sense of style and identity. I don't want to take these things for granted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...