Sunday, 5 February 2012

Day 76

Image created by artandwords on polyvore.com

Routine is a funny little so-and-so: if forced to go for weeks without it through unemployment or illness its absence can be excruciating, but get into a rhythm and it can suddenly seem relentless or claustrophobic. And then comes the countdown - waiting for the weekend or annual leave or anything other than one more ordinary day.

There are things that are hopefully coming my way that I'm really looking forward to, but I also recently discovered another incentive for ticking off work-days as they pass: it makes me remember they're unique. 

Tomorrow is Monday, but in my mind it's also Day 76 and - unlike any old Monday - it's not coming around again. Instead of getting restless in the face of weeks and months of routine, I need to make Day 76 go somewhere. Day 76 has to get me to Day 75. It can dictate the rest of my week; it can influence how the people around me feel towards me and about themselves; it could be the beginning of something or - let's face it - it could always be the end. So what if it looks boring? So what if it IS boring? Day 76 has a job to do and from the time that alarm goes off it's "now or never".

One day last year I was suddenly let go from a job that sometimes felt like it would never end. No prizes for guessing I missed it when it was gone. One day nearly two years ago, my childhood ended and my dreams came true. One day last year a friend of a friend died in a road traffic collision. Those were extraordinary days.

But the ordinary days are arguably the best days. The ordinary days are the opportunities to lay the groundwork for the big days - the for better or worse days. The ordinary days are the ones where we get to become the people those life-changing, fun-filled or dramatically defining days will expose.

Honestly, I SO wish I loved Mondays more (actually it's Tuesdays I have real issues with). And I'm hopeful that one day there will be changes - external and internal - that mean I do. But in the meantime, I'm concentrating on at least giving each day a fighting chance to do some good in its own right before it comes to a close, never to be encountered in quite the same way again.

Teach us to number our days [so] that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90v12 - The Bible

Over to you, day 76. Do your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...