Saturday, 11 February 2012

Pocket Money - Part 2

Image created by artandwords on polyvore.com

Reading and hearing about the on-going uproar over high pay and bonuses in the last two weeks, I haven't exactly formed an educated opinion - it's been more along the lines of having a reaction. And, unfortunately, my reaction hasn't been massively constructive either. I've felt really depressed. Depressed at how the muddle of information I ingest from both camps leaves me feeling completely incapable of making up my mind; depressed that despite being sure there might be a little more to the issues it surely isn't right that our supermarket CEOs are making millions while workers on the shop floor aren't paid a living wage. Depressed that there's such an anger and readiness for vilification,  and 'us vs them vs everything'.

In my depression, I reached for two proverbs and a promise. I wonder, would the world look different if I acted like I believed them?

Proverbs 20v23 - The LORD detests differing weights, and dishonest scales do not please Him.

Proverbs 21v1 - The King's heart is in the hand of the LORD; He directs it like a watercourse wherever He pleases.

2 Chronicles 7v14 - "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and I will forgive their sins and I will heal their land." 

Is prayer a legitimate reaction to an overwhelming feeling that somehow, somewhere along the line things need to be different? In the middle of that difficult-to-articulate sense that someone should do something, is it okay to abdicate that ultimate responsibility to God and expect Him to change attitudes and move immovable people and structures (with our input) - because He too wants better for us? Is it alright to not know what to do but still hope that the right thing will be done? Is it worth a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...