Sunday, 15 April 2012

"Spilling Open" - Sabrina Ward Harrison


There was a time when this book was permanently open on my desk - a constant reminder that someone else sometimes feels the way I was feeling.

Some people find Sabrina Ward Harrison's confessional style self-indulgent, but in the times I've turned to this book I've mainly seen her bravery. She's brave in choosing to create with the most personal parts of herself, instead of the things that might seem more polished and impressive. In publishing her art journals, she has documented a life in progress - the process of changing, growing up, working things out.

These days it mostly lives closed on my shelf, but I took it down again tonight to remember the beauty in unfinished things, fallibility and trying not to try so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...