Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Under Construction

Image created by artandwords on polyvore.com
 
I love this time of year. I love the clocks going back, the cosiness of dark evenings and the gratitude it inspires in me - winter makes me appreciate my home, my clothes and having family to celebrate with more than at any other time of year. In the approach to Christmas I'm more attuned to the things other people are lacking that I so easily take for granted, more motivated to do something about it. And more reflective. 

As nature winds down and trees let their leaves go, and grey skies hang close and misty it's like some kind of cosmic call to my soul that it's time to just...listen. It's time to take stock. It started during the winter when, as a teenager on my way back from Christmas shopping, I discovered a "boiler room": a 24-7 prayer community in an old pub on the back streets of my hometown - all fairy lights and graffiti and a creative place to ponder. I love this time of year.


And this year it comes with changes: big, good changes in work, in family life. And with those changes comes an even stronger desire to really retreat into that place of holy hibernation where I get to pick through the intricacies with God and discuss it all with no external agenda, no thoughts of how to articulate it all for other people, no emphasis on explaining lessons learned or things to improve on. In the new year there will be new things. Maybe I will still share them here, starting again in January 2013 - I hope to. But from now until then, these days belong to the people I'm with and the person I am right now.


I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...