Saturday, 16 March 2013

Tricky Topics

Image created by artandwords on polyvore.com

The most appealing thing about the blogging process for me has been challenging myself to digest information/experiences and have a constructive reaction, instead of letting life wash over me. As part of that, I've thought a little more deeply about some tricky topics having an impact in the public sphere and shared the beginnings of my reactions in a few posts.

This is really just a note to say that I've decided to take those discussions off-line. For a while my personal musings on topics like big business and the economy were a side-line activity, but I'm now privileged to be in a position where I get to learn about those things as part of my career. It's a really exciting avenue to be going down and not one that I would have predicted I'd have the chance to embrace. But here I am. And there's a lot to learn.

Two things are easy. It's easy to make assumptions: to form ideological stances on the basis of very little information. On the other hand, it's also easy to be apathetic: to switch off and distance from tricky topics because the volume of information is so daunting and the content so dense. I don't want to do either. 

I genuinely believe in taking responsibility, in the reality of interconnected consequences and in trying to be part of solutions. There is, however, such disparity between that belief and my actions. The awareness of falling short in that respect is both discouraging and motivating.

With that in mind, I am entirely committed to continuing to think and pray and learn about the big questions surrounding finance, corporate governance and the like, as well as the mechanics behind it all. I'm thrilled that I get to call that "work" for the next little while in my life. But while I'm in the very early stages of that knowledge-gathering process, and while I'm potentially employed along those lines, I think a hiatus from splurging about it all is probably appropriate.

 "The more you talk, 
the more likely you will cross the line and say the wrong thing; 
but if you are wise
you will speak less and with restraint."
Proverbs 10v18 

 (the Voice Bible translation)

Who knows, one day I might have grounds to make a legitimate contribution to the debate. In the meantime, there are a lot of knowledgeable people writing about interesting ideas in accessible ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...