Sunday, 24 May 2015

The Pollyanna Project



I started another postcard project a few weeks ago at a point when I really needed to challenge myself to change my thinking.

It's called the Pollyanna project in honour of the slightly annoying heroine of the self-titled books and film: an orphan who is seemingly able to see the bright-side of absolutely everything. I found myself counting down the days left in this particular life-season in a really unconstructive way, and decided I needed to take a leaf out of Pollyanna's book and "count my blessings" instead. 

As a fresh way of tapping into that old cliché, I am writing a thank you note at the end of each work day to acknowledge the positive things I've gained during this whole phase, despite the difficulties. Things like integrity, resourcefulness and the overwhelming kindness and support of others. Things like financial stability, opportunity and a greater capacity to persevere. By the time I've found another 63 reasons to be thankful, it will all be over. Somehow, seen from that perspective, the end doesn't seem so far away.

The best part about the Pollyanna Project is that I am finally, finally, FINALLY making peace with the way the last couple of years turned out. I am making peace: I am constructing it with effort and deliberate focus, building peace out of gratitude and the humility to accept that life is bigger than my whims and agendas, but I am cared for at all times anyway.


I'm finding the truth in what others discovered before me:

"Whatever is true, 
whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable
- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -
think about such things...
And the God of peace will be with you."

(Philippians 4v8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...